Are you on a budget and looking to update your furniture? Give your chair a makeover with this easy to follow DIY furniture makeover guide. See the transformation of a worn-out, outdated looking study chair to a trendy tartan patterned seat that’s also a quirky addition to the room. Why not make your furniture makeover the next talking point at a dinner party?
How to Find Free (or as good as) Furniture
From charity shops to Freecycle, there are plenty of ways to find furniture that people don’t want any more. You’ll be surprised how many people simply want to give their stuff away on Freecycle, simply because the furniture is taking too much space. One man’s trash, as they say, is another man’s treasure! If you’re not feeling up to trying out something new though, why not do it the old fashioned way and just ask family and friends if they have unwanted furniture they don’t want or are willing to part with for a small amount of cash?
Where to Buy Material?
If you’re looking for something that’s cheap and cheerful the first place to look is eBay. You can truly get some great bargains and the delivery time is usually less than a week, which means you can do your furniture makeover not long after you decide to do it. Of course, feel free to use old sheets and clothes. Just make sure there’s enough material for the makeover – there’s nothing worse than finding out half way through that you don’t have enough to work with!
EASY DIY Furniture Makeover Guide
1. Find an old chair that you’re happy to modernise. Grab your chosen material that you’ll be using for the makeover as well as scissors and a sewing kit (if you’re hoping to make it a permanent change that is.)
2. Clean it if necessary. So if it’s dusty just give it a quick wipe down with a cloth to get rid of the settled dust to make sure that it looks as good as new when you’re finished 😉
3. Unscrew the upholstered sections from the chair’s seat and back.
4. Cover each of the sections with material and sew the material into place to the back. This way, the material is sure to stay in place and it’ll be hidden once you screw it back onto the chair. TIP:Â Tighten the material around all of the edges for a neat finish.
5. Once you’ve done that, screw the sections back onto the chair and it’s finished. I’ve done the one above in about half an hour… I told you it’s easy 🙂
Have you recently completed a furniture makeover? I’d love to see!