Now, if you’ve read my Home Office Redecoration Part I, you’ll know that I’ve painted my small bedroom and added a lampshade plus a couple of posters to build a base for a corner from which I can blog or work from home.
Please don’t judge me on my shelf styling skills, it’s a work in progress!
Modern Chic Home Office Ideas
Dwell Contour Slim Shelf* | Zazzle vintage posters* | Upcycling & upstyling Books
My lovely new modern white shelf from Dwell* arrived last week and I quickly asked a relative to put it together for me as I was excited about how it’s going to fit into my freshly painted office room. Once up, I noticed that it’s bigger than I expected, which is great because I’m planning to put a lot of books on it.
I’ve got most of my books packed up in boxes in the garage since I’ve moved out of my mums place a long time ago (7 years?!) which was just before I started university! I can’t wait to uncover my old-time favourite books and stories that would no doubt bring back lots of memories. Until then however I quickly scanned my house for things that I could put onto the shelves – I seemed to have noticed a bit of theme… I unintentionally grouped together animals, insects, birds and mystical creatures.
- Owl – the owl is my fiancé’s family heirloom and to be honest I’ve been a big fan of the bird for a while now. Not only are they adorable with their large eyes and strokeable feathers but they’re also representative of wisdom and sophistication, which is perfect for an office space like ours 😉
- Wolf – They’re really cool animals and symbolise strength, assertiveness and instinct. It’s a great presence to have with you when you’re working from home and need that encouragement about what you’re doing.
- Butterflies – They’re like ideas manifested into beings. Simply take that idea and run with it.
- Birds – Freedom, spirit and home-bound. Plus, they’re super cute.
- Magazines – I’ve showed off my interior magazine collection of House Beautiful on one of the shelves and I think it’s quite fitting for an interiors blogger like myself… If I’m ever in need of inspiration, I know where to turn.
- Humour – I don’t know if you’ve noticed but I’ve included two small books on adorable cats and kittens. One has funny quotes and the other has pictures of the cutest kittens in the world!
- Wedding – Something that we won’t be forgetting very soon and that’s to save up for our wedding at the end of the year. Maybe it’ll motivate us to work even harder…
Once again please ignore that the shelves are quite empty and be sure to check back in a couple of weeks as I work on rearranging and styling the shelf properly (once I get my boxes out of the garage.)
Let me know what you think of it so far!