Sometimes you find trousers that are simply too good to pass by during a shopping spree! Either that or you’re simply just shorter than average (like myself.) Here’s a guide to help you shorten trousers that are too long to wear:
1. Mark the length that you’d like to remove from the bottom of the trousers.
2. Pin it all around Â and try the trousers on to make sure it’s a comfortable length (be very careful so that you don’t hurt yourself with the pins.) TIP: Try themÂ on with heeled shoes in case you decide to wear them together later – the length may change because of this.
3. Cut the extra material that you’re sure you don’t want, leaving around two inches to work with.
4. Once done, unpin the edge carefully but then pin it back but this time by rolling half of the remaining material underneath itself in order to neaten up the edge.
and do this all the way around…
5. If you’re shortening the trousers using a sewing machine then take white cotton thread (or any vibrant colour that’s easy to see) and loosely sew the edge that you’ve just pinned. [If you’re shortening them by hand then you can skip this step and start neatly sewing the edge using a similar coloured cotton thread, removing the pins once finished.]
7.Â Once finished, secure the loose threads and then remove the white cotton completely. You’ll then find you’ve got trousers that are now the perfect length for you and look professionally tailored! 😉